Thursday, January 12, 2012

Skin Battle: Seborrheic Dermatitus


According to the Mayo Clinic it is  "a common skin disorder that mainly affects your scalp, causing scaly, itchy, red skin & stubborn dandruff...... Seborrheic dermatitis can also affect your face, upper chest, back & other areas of your body that have many oil (sebaceous) glands."

 Since the age of 14 I have been affected with Seborrheic Dermatitus. It first started out as little patches on my chin & hairline. As the years have passed, it has spread to my scalp, forehead, eyebrows, creases of my nose and most recently behind my ears. Mine can be triggered by stress, allergies and changing weather.

I have been to two dermatologists. The 1st gave me an ointment call Protopic (which I just found out the FDA advises against long term use & I have been using this for years) & told me to wash with ZNP Bar (otc soap you can get at Walmart). That was my regimen for the last 6 1/2 years. The 2nd dermatologist prescribed me Ovace shampoo & face wash/cream. The shampoo worked, but my face hated the wash/cream. Recently, I visited my friend in St. Louis (she has scalp issues) & she had this product called Lucky Tiger. During my short visit, it cleared my face/scalp up in just a few days. When I got home, to my dismay I couldn't find it anywhere.  So, for right now I use Dove to wash & St. Ives Oatmeal & Shea Butter or Cetaphil cream to moisturize.  
Is there anyone who also who suffers from this skin disorder? If so what do you use to combat it? What regimen do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment